Re: [squid-users] Re: ubuntu apt-get update 404

From: Matthew Morgan <atcs.matthew_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 14:00:23 -0500

Matthew Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Morgan wrote:

>>> Quick note: the errors are not always 404's. Sometimes they are like:
>>>
>>> Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty Release.gpg
>>> The HTTP server sent an invalid reply header [IP: 91.189.88.45 80]
>>>
>> You may be encountering the remains of bug #7. Or some upstream provider
>> with bug #2624 (fixed in 3.0.stable20).
>>
>> If you can track down what that invalid reply header is and whether its
>> coming into Squid from the web server would be a great help.
>>

> I'll fix the other problems with my config that you saw, and if this
> doesn't go away I'll do some tracking and let you know. Thanks!
>

>> Amos
>> --
>> Please be using
>> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE7 or 3.0.STABLE20
>> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.14

It looks like for some reason the .bz2 extensions is getting dropped off
some of the urls. With squid-2.7 (which works), there are many requests
like the following:

http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2

With 3.x, a few of them look like this:

http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages

They're identical, but somewhere the file extension is getting ripped
off...but only on some of them. Do you know of a way to find out where
this is happening? I don't exactly grok squid yet, so I don't think I'm
equipped to divine the answer from the source code.