[squid-users] multiple squid boxes on multiple internet connections

From: Roguedr <roguedr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:37:09 +0400

Hi,

I am stuck in the company with 3 internet connections (3, 1 and 2
Mbps) that are located in different buildings. The buildings are
connected together but the LAN is pretty primitive. So far on each
connection I have a different firewall and users are separated by
subnet and default gateway to use one of the firewalls.
As you realize this is a quite inefficient use of the internet
bandwidth and often I end up with a link saturated while the other
links have some room to spare.

Is there a method by which I can set up 3 squid boxes (one on each
connection) to achieve the following:

a) if the bandwidth is exhausted on one internet link forward the
request to the next squid box (with another internet link)
b) if one box fails have another box handle the traffic

Point B is less important to me (I guess CARP could be a solution) but
point A would be a really interesting setup, however I have no idea
how it could be achieved.

Is squid cache able to achieve this? Do the wizards on this forum have
any other suggestions?

Thank you so much....