Re: [squid-users] Mailing-list admins: can we set up reply-to?

From: Marcello Romani <mromani_at_ottotecnica.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:19:32 +0100

Matus UHLAR - fantomas ha scritto:
> On 13.11.09 11:44, Brian Mearns wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible for the admins of this mailing list to setup the
>> Reply-to header so hitting reply goes back to the mailing list? I
>
> changing reply-to by mailing list is bad.
>
>> don't know how many times I've sent responses directly back to the
>> sender because I just started typing the response.
>
> get a mail client that does support mailing lists.

I use Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 under Ubuntu 9.10.
It has two reply buttons: "Reply" and "Reply to all".
When replying to your message, the first button sends the reply to your
private address, the second button sends the reply to the mailing list.
This is OK, and I think it's what you mean when you say "get a mail
client that supports mailing lists".

But with most messages on the list what happens is different: when I hit
"Replay to all", the message gets the poster's e-mail address in the
"To:" field and the mailing list's address in the "Cc:" field.
Therefore I have to manually delete the "To:" field and change the "Cc:"
one to become "To:", otherwise the poster would see my reply two times:
once in the list, and once in his/her private mail. This is annoying
IMHO, and has the risk of breaking the thread on the list because the
poster might reply to the private copy of the message.

Reading the full e-mail headers, it appears to me that the only
significant difference is your (good) message has

while all the other ("bad") messages miss this header.
Could it be this header that causes the different behaviour I have seen
? How could this be solved ?

--
Marcello Romani