Re: [squid-users] Using Squid in a WiFi hotspot environment

From: Kaya Saman <SamanKaya_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:07:07 +0200

Landy Landy wrote:
> I currently run a small wifi hotspot running squid and NoCat as captive portal. NoCat is an older software and it is being maintained. It works fine for me, I recommended.
>
> --- On Thu, 11/19/09, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:

NoCat is an older version of Wifidog isn't it?? As it's mentioned on the
site!

I think if one runs NoCat or Wifidog then one can bypass the Squid proxy
all together....?? - provided that one is using it as a gateway then in
the DHCP pool pointing the IP of the gateway device to Wifidog or NoCat.
This would virtually allow any WAP to be used.

I mean I'm not really sure I see Squid's benefit if one has a WiFi
portal/gateway software running, apart from obviously taking the load
off NAT. Since I guess I've only used Squid as a reverse proxy I really
am not sure about the forward benefits I guess in any environment.......