RE: [squid-users] Brief Flash of CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED on 302 (yahoo.com)þ

From: Jenny Lee <bodycare_5_at_live.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:29:46 +0000

>> Thank you for thorough explanation. I have squid compiled with:
>>
>> --enable-delay-pools \
>> --enable-poll \
>
> If possible I'd suggest going for epoll or kqueue instead. Much faster
> socket handling.

I use epoll. But I think 'make check' bailed out or there was an error somewhere so I defaulted to poll for narrowing down the issue.

> *-auto-locale you may want to keep. It presents the error pages in
> visitor-readable language texts. The /etc/squid/errorpages.css adds
> display branding control.
>
> *-translation only affects build-time and creates the pages to be
> presented by *-auto-locale. The langpack bundles we provide are an
> alternative pre-built set of the latest page translations to drop in on
> existing Squid without a rebuild or even restart. But requires
> auto-locale to be really useful.

I removed NLS from kernel/glibc/gcc. And yes, I read the whole blog article about german sysadmin : ) I don't need it, I don't want it!

> In Squid 3.1 to enable caching, but limited to memory:
>
> remove all cache_dir entries from the config.
>
> Thats it.
>
> No more fiddling with the "null" disk stuff or hacks around hidden disk
> defaults.
>
> As you noticed the "cache ..." entries make Squid proxy-only. They need
> to permit storage (ie defaults) for memory-only caching.

'null' disk stuff was a good improvement. I just commented 'cache deny all' line and i am getting TCP_MEM_HITs. All is good, well done.

> Have not heard of that one. I'm interested though in anything related.
> One of my long-term wishlist is to build a configure option to minimize
> Squid footprint for low-spec builds.
This would be a nice project. Currently, disabling everything only removes 300K from the stripped binary of 2MB.

> 3.1 with --disable-diskio might be usable to strip the disk caching code
> out.

Thank you for this tip. --disable-disk-io (for reference, --disable-diskio does not exist currently if not a typo) worked for 3.1.0.15 and removed ~ 100K.

> Noting the way your options are tending toward minimal features you may
> or my not want to not ESI is also on by default now in 3.1.0.15

ESI seems to be off by default on 3.1.0.15 in configure. And you are right, I don't need it.

Thank you so much Amos. squid has worked reliably for years for me. I have one machine where it boots with the server and runs few years until a reboot! That is an old internal machine. squid is old too, but I never had it dying on me even though it is being used daily.

Jen

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/