Re: [squid-users] "Quadruple" memory usage with squid

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:06:49 +1100

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 21:40 -0500, Linda Messerschmidt wrote:

> > Maybe. We would like to diagnose this problem and fix it properly,
> but if
> > its too much hassle you can go that way.
>
> It would definitely be my preference to diagnose and fix the problem
> and I can live with a fair amount of hassle to get there. (Unless you
> are saying "you are using redirectors" is the problem, in which case
> memfs it is. ;-) )

redirectors should be fine.

If the page tables of squid are swapped out or phenominally huge, fork
could be slow.

You could test using vfork instead of fork (be sure to see the man page
and you may need to change the child execution code a little.

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/kernel/vfork.html has some interesting notes
from the BSD world about this.

-Rob