[squid-users] Squid HTTP Headers

From: Jason Hodges <jhodges_at_pocket.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:08:17 -0600

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this post. All feedback is welcome.

I work for a cell phone company and we use squid along with some fancy NAT and PAT in order to offer various proxying services for cell phone web browsers. Thus far we have been quite successful. If anyone is curious of our set up, just ask.

I do have a challenge that I have been unable to overcome and I am hoping the user group can help solve it.

The "Web Content Provider" that serves ringtones, games, etc to our subscribers requires that we have an http header inserted as the users surf their site. The header is x-msisdn. The value should be the subscriber's phone number (mdn). We have been unsuccessful at finding a good/solid solution for retrieving the mdn and inserting an http header. The mdn (in our case) is stored in a database, so the information is easily available. However, we do not know how to make squid request the mdn and inject the http request header.

Here are some details:
1. The mdn is stored in a database with an association to the ip address the subscriber was assigned. Optionally this same information is stored in a flat text file (radius accounting detail log)
2. We only want to inject this http header for certain URLs.

If anyone can offer suggestions on how we can make this happen, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback.

Regards,
Jason P Hodges