Re: [squid-users] AVG Updates not being cached with squid 2.6?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:49:41 +1300

http://redbot.org/?uri=http://aa.avg.com/softw/90/update/u7iavi2551u2550qp.bin

>>> It looks to me that it should be cacheable - but the only suspicious
>>> thing is the statement I get when I hover over the "This response is
>>> stale". I think it says that it has a "Freshnes lifetime of 0" -
>>> which sounds like it will always be considered stale. I'm not sure
>>> why they would do this as each update has a unique file name - and
>>> could therefore be considered fresh indefinitely couldn't it?
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm my interpretation - and/or suggest a way to treat
>>> the updates more rationally?
>>>
>>> Richard.
>>>

>>> A cache considers a HTTP response stale when its age (here, 0) is
>>> equal to or exceeds its freshness lifetime (in this case, 0)
>>>
>>> A A cache considers a HTTP response stale when its age (here, 0) is
>>> equal to or exceeds its freshness lifetime (in this case, 0).cache
>>> considers a HTTP response stale when its age (here, 0) is equal to or
>>> exceeds its freshness lifetime (in this case, 0).
>>
>> Hmm, something strange there.
>>
>> AFAIK the object looks like with the L-M header + the Date should have
>> both non-zero freshness (Date - LM) and an age (now - Date).
>>
>> Amos
>
> Thanks Amos
> Can you shed ANY light on what might be going on here? I presume you are

> seeing the same "odd" freshness and age numbers as I am.
> Can you enlighten me on what "LM" means or stands for?

Sorry; "Last-Modified:" header timestamp. It says how old the object is
from last create/modify.

> Are you suggesting that the AVG website is doing something odd to
> concoct the strange age and freshness numbers?

No, I think redbot is broken here, maybe Squid-2.6 as well. AFAIK it AVG
are right and it should be cached.

Anothee possibility is regex patterns. I notice the string "avi" in that
filename. Do you have some special regex in your config for handling video
DiVX files by extension?

> Where could an inconsistency arise to give zero for both these numbers -

> as seen by redbot?

unknown to me.

> I am very new to this stuff - and need help interpreting the data...:-)
> This all started from the observation that all AVG updates seem to be
> cache misses - even when the same update file is downloaded several
> times in a few hours.
>

> Richard.

Amos