Re: [squid-users] Storing more squid config into LDAP

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:09:39 +1300

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 12:34:42 -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel
<felipe.wiel_at_hpp.org.br> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm already using LDAP authentication and the
> company I work for tries to put a lot of authentication
> and authorization (meta-)information inside LDAP.
>
> This week, we were wondering if it is possible
> to use LDAP as a backend for acl lists. The idea would
> be to get a list of domains for a user or a list of
> source domains for an acl and so on, instead of putting
> the list on squid.conf or in and external file, LDAP
> would be the "repository".
>
> Looking to the standard config it doesn't seems
> to be possible, the only external "repository" would be
> a file, but do you believe it is possible to try to
> achieve it using external_acl?
>
> Writing a custom script that would get info
> from LDAP and check different items and conditions?

Yes. Exactly the intention of the external_acl_type. It's frequently done
with other database backends.

The cons are that its a "slow" type ACL as well as being relatively slow
time-wise. So not all tests can use it.

> Have anybody heard about anything on those lines?

AFAIK there is nothing preventing it.
Have not heard about it being done for LDAP yet but that is not unusual
since any such implementation would be an extremely site-specific custom
setup.

Amos