Re: [squid-users] "Quadruple" memory usage with squid

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:55:21 -0200

time passed and an other thread states that FreeBSD developers
confirm a known issue with superpages and suggest vfork().

vfork() halts the parent while the child does not do its 26
calls to exec().
This time may be short enough for the parent to have a workaround
for the problem. Of course I am interested to see performance
numbers.

But forgive me for asking why option 5 is not considered.
All new information indicates that both Squid processes
will fork fast. Variations of options 5 may even give better
results; e.g.
- memfs,
- change size of mem_node to 4096 bytes (is it safe?)
- use alternative malloc implementation like TCMalloc which only
   aligns chunks bigger than 32K on a page boundary

The size of the mem_node objects (4112 bytes) is definitely inefficient
and wastes too much memory to leave it unchanged. A memory allocater
that does not page-align these objects is the simplest rescue until
the Squid developers come with a solution.

Marcus