[squid-users] Re: squid & http-1.1

From: Linda W <squid-user_at_tlinx.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:30:04 -0800

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> NP: Squid cannot make network fetches go faster than the line speed. All
> it can do is cache things locally for a repeat request to be faster. For
> the best caching controls it's a toss up between 2.7 and 3.1 as of this
> writing.

----
	Doesn't HTTP 1.1 specify that content can use compressed content?
Where does pipelining come in?  1.0 or 1.1?  Not that's generally useful, but
doesn't 1.1 also allow partial  or range downloads?   Compression would be good on
the non-media portions for speeding up downloads, no?
	I have a large-ish disk, but only ~6G set aside for squid.  I suppose that'd
be a benefit if all my content were out of the cache, but it is good when I need to
retrieve a few hundred meg image of something out of cache.  I guess it depends on
what you mean by 'large'...
	I just asked because MS-OFFICE tried to 'activate' by using 1.1 due to incorrect
settings in IE -- Setting IE to force 1.0 let it work.  Nothing to do with cache
size, but it reminded me to ask about 1.1 -- it's a default setting in IE8 (Hadn't
installed FF yet! :-)).
-l