[squid-users] Re: How much disk space is reclaimed by the cache replacement algorithms?

From: RW <rwmaillists_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:29:43 +0000

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:58:41 +0100
Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk> wrote:

> > 1. How often is the replacement done?
>
> when the percentage of configured cache_dir size crosses the
> cache_swap_high value.

I haven't looked at the code for a long-time and I only looked at 2.x,
but cache_swap_high didn't seem to play any part that I could see.
It's certainly not a simple high/low watermark algorithm.

If you run a low-volume cache the percentage never budges
from cache_swap_low (give or take a few objects), and if you shrink the
cache size a little, it corrects within a couple of minutes, whether
or not you hit the new cache_swap_high.