Re: [squid-users] 2 cache_dir on the same squid server ?

From: Jefferson Diego <jeffersondiego8_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:46:12 -0200

Em 27-12-2009 15:02, Hung Nguyen escreveu:
> Jefferson Diego wrote:
>
>> Em 27-12-2009 14:17, Hung Nguyen escreveu:
>>
>>> hello folks,
>>> Can I specify 2 cache_dir directives for one squid server? I meant two
>>> cache_dir on 2 different disk to avoid disk failure ?
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Yes, you can. You can specify how many cache_dir's you want, each in
>> the same partition, or in different partition or even in a different
>> drive.
>> But, it will not avoid problems if you have a disk failure. If the
>> squid process try to write in a cache_dir, and this is not available
>> (imagine that your drive is down, due to a failure), it will crash...
>> But why are you worried about a failure? Are your disks failling?
>>

> Thank for reply,
> No, I just plan for a bad day. Do you have any advice for me in this
> situation: 2 cache_dir on different disk is better or just one cache_dir
> on a disk with just one partition in it?

Ok... about the event of a "bad day" with your disks, I think that the
right thing is to write a kind of daemon script to analyse the
availabity of partitions, and if some of them are down, rewrite
squid.conf without it and restart squid quickly.
And about your situation, 2 or more cache_dir on different disk are
better, 'cause the squid process can parallelize I/O requests, improving
the transfer performance.

(And sorry if I said some incompreensible thing, 'cause I'm brazilian
and I still have a poor english)