[squid-users] Load balancing WITHOUT parents over multiple WAN connections

From: Jon DeLee <jondelee_at_ltcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:15:00 -0800

*This message was scanned for all current viruses and is certified clean*

Hi All,

I'm using Squid 3.0. STABLE 8 as my main cache, and I have two other 2.7
caches set up, one on each WAN connection. The only reason we have
multiple proxy servers is to load balance; in reality I only need the
one 3.0 server, which has access to both WAN links.

I don't want any ACLs that force one group of users to one outgoing IP;
I just want Squid to see that it has two paths to the internet and use
them in a weighted round-robin fashion.

I have tried setting up one direct and one parent, but no weighting
occurs because Squid prefers direct routes if possible.

I have tried to force squid to use an IP address on the machine and set
up multiple weighted routes from that IP, but strange things happen with
web sites that check source IP address, so it needs to be something that
Squid can control.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon DeLee