Re: [squid-users] coss storage scheme.

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:58:01 -0900

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CyclicObjectStorageSystem

> Now i didn't really check when this book was written but I've been
> coming across with it for a bunch of years already so i imagine is not
> very new.
>
> Does some of you have some real experiences with coss?

Squid 2.7STABLE6

 My COSS dirs are about 45 GB each on bare partitions (cache_dir coss
/dev/sdc1 46080 max-size=51200 max-stripe-waste=32768 block-size=4096).
Each server passes about 100 GB of traffic per day (to my customers,
~25% from cache), with a peak requests/second of around 150. No issues
with stability (currently I have over 50 days of uptime).

> I'm also very
> interested on squid's start-up time when using coss.

Squid starts up just fine but thrashes the disks hard for about half an
hour while it reads the COSS dirs to build the index. There is no
noticeable effect on performance.

> Many Thanks
> -J

Chris