[squid-users] Transparent Squid & Gtalk & Gmail And Other HTTPS

From: anand phulwani <anand_phulwani_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:42:30 -0800 (PST)

Dear Users,

Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated.

My problem is ,i am using squid 2.7 as a transparent proxy on Ubuntu Server 9.10 on Sun VirtualBox and my network is divided into two groups, to one i want to allow gtalk & gmail and to other i want to allow just gmail.

I came to know that one solution could be WPAD/PAC.
But I am looking for other alternative. i tried
a) Recompiling it with --enable-ssl and installing,which allowed me to control gtalk
but it stopped opening gmail.com
b) So i thought of redirecting 0:442, 444:65535 to port 3128(http_port) and masquerading port 443.this allowed gmail,but removed the access control over gtalk
c) then i reverted to snapshot when i repeated the step a ,my gtalk is unable to connect, i dont understand what had i missed(there is something i have missed i just dont know what i am missing).
d) then i tried 3129(https_port) and generated key and certificate as a wild try.but still gtalk is unable to connect.

Also I Would Like To Ask
e)Can I Use Squid 3.0 For HTTPS?, although it is still not maintained by ubuntu core developers and is not quoted as stable.Is it reliable?.

Also Attaching The squid.conf and rules of iptables in a script file.

I have tried using all the four groups in the script file, but none of them is working.
i am using eth0(192.168.0.44) for lan and eth1(192.168.8.10) for internet
Please advice where am i going wrong.

Hoping You Will Help.
Thanks,
Anand The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/