Re: [squid-users] Mime.conf

From: Jason Spegal <jspegal_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:18:20 -0500

Alrighty. Did some more research and found a solution to my problem
which leads to another issue.

My problem: I was trying to serve a proxy auto configuration file
(wpad.dat) from an internal webserver (http://wpad/). When the client
down the pipe after squid picked it up the file was served with the mime
type chemical/x-mopac-input. When I went direct to the webserver it
served the correct mime type (which I had forced it to).

Solution: On Gentoo squid is using the /etc/mime.types file to guess the
mime type instead of what the remote webserver is saying the file is. I
fixed the file which I also noticed has several other issues answering
my other other issue, my is 95% of my data being caught in the catch all
refresh_pattern instead of the mime type ones.

Of note for other Gentoo & Debian users: From mime.types # This file is
part of the app-misc/mime-types package, which is based on debian's
"mime-support".

So my question is now; how do I force squid to use the mime-type
delivered by the remote webserver without killing mime.types and thus
breaking my system in new and unexpected ways?