Re: [squid-users] running out of filedescriptors

From: Markus Meyer <markus.meyer_at_koeln.de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:42:46 +0100

Landy Landy schrieb:
> I restarted squid and it comes up ok. But I still get:
>
> With 1024 file descriptors available
>
> 2010/01/26 10:27:43| With 1024 file descriptors available

This means it uses some system defaults. And for a Squid this usually
isn't enough file descriptors(except you use it at home).

Are you using Debian or some derivative like Ubuntu? If so there should
be a configuration file named /etc/default/squid. There you should set
the value of SQUID_MAXFD to a higher value. I don't know if there is
something comparable for other distros.

Otherwise you can set the "ulimit" in Squids startup script like William
described it:

ulimit -n HIGHER_VALUE

Markus