[squid-users] proxy_auth digest and multiple reverse proxies (siblings)

From: Deepak Rao <deepak.rao.257_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:35:32 +0530

Hi,

I have a squid setup requirement in my project for which I could not
find an answer. Any pointers will be helpful...

The setup is as follows: I have multiple reverse proxies serving web
pages to clients. A load balancer front-ends the reverse proxies. The
reverse proxies can be configured as siblings.

The client requests contain HTTP Digest headers and needs to be
authenticated at my server side (using proxy_auth?) The requests from
a client can be served by any of the reverse proxies & no state is
maintained on the server. Stickiness is also not possible.

The issue is:
When the first request (REQ1) comes from client 1, server responds
back with 401 Unauthorized (WWW-Authenticate) and sets a nonce value
(N1) [all this is handled by the reverse proxy itself]

Now when the client 1 sends the request (REQ1) again with all the
digest headers (using nonce N1), this request is received by another
reverse proxy. For this reverse proxy, the nonce N1 is unknown and
hence it returns again 401 Unauthorized as response with stale=true
for the nonce N1! Thus the request is never getting served rightly

How do I handle this scenario? Is there a way to make all reverse
proxies share the same nonce pool?

Any other alternatives for my requirement is also welcome.

Thanks,
Deepak