Re: [squid-users] Max throughput of CARP Proxy

From: Markus Meyer <markus.meyer_at_koeln.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:44:26 +0100

Amos Jeffries schrieb:

Hi Amos,

> 5,000rps is around the fastest I have heard for Squid in production.
> 220mbit/s is about twice the bandwidth that user had. So well done on that.

Wow, didn't know that. But there is no magic included, just a plain
Squid. Good work on your side I would say.

> * turn zero_buffers off
> * experiment with the incoming_rate.
> * debugging in Squid is known to slow things down "debug_options
> ALL,0" is the fastest.
> * some small cache_mem on the CARP may or may not improve the overall
> speed. It will on the hottest objects.

I will try those and get back to the list.

> * tune the kernel TCP timeouts

This is a mystery to me. So I might get into this.

> If thats not fast enough for you, you could try the latest 2.HEAD and
> 3.HEAD for the latest speed boosters we have. 2.HEAD has the last of the
> Yahoo! and Adrian speed experiments and is usably stable. 3.HEAD is
> where we are working now, but may not be as fast as 2.x.

If my intention would be to break a new record I would try the HEAD
revision. But this thing should sooner or later go into a production
environment. So I better stick with the "official" stable version.

Cheers, Markus