Re: [squid-users] Max throughput of CARP Proxy

From: Markus Meyer <markus.meyer_at_koeln.de>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 14:24:22 +0100

Mark Nottingham schrieb:
> Have you done any TCP tuning?

Just a bit. I'm very cautious with that since it's very easy to break
something. It might work in the tests, but in a production environment
it's a different picture and might fire back at you. What I have done so
far is the following:

~# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse = 1
~# sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1

That helped with reducing the number of TIME_WAITS drastically but
didn't speed up the performance. What do you suggest?

> When you say 25% CPU, do you mean 25% of the total of a quad-core
> box, or 25% of one core? What's the CPU?

Argh, forgot to mention that. It's 25% overall of a dual quad-core. I
have to correct myself. After I turned tcp_tw_reuse and tcp_tw_recycle
on it went down to under 20% overall. It's distributed like that:

System: 6%
User: 9%
Interrupt: 3.5%

Cheers, Markus