Re: [squid-users] OpenSSL license

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:11:43 +1300

kiran kumar wrote:
> Greetings to all.
>
> Will there be any license compatibility issues in using openssl with
> Squid? I plan to build Squid with "enable-ssl" support but happened to
> bump into an old discussion on this.
> "http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200406/0011.html".
> As i'm not an expert on this, I wish to hear from the group if there
> will be any potential license violation if we want to use Squid to
> provide https-proxy support.
>
> Best Regards,
> Kiran

There is no violation is building the two together for personal/business
internal use.

The problem begins with re-distributing the copy you built. It boils
down to GPL software cannot be distributed in binary form when
containing OpenSSL code.

Neither Squid or OpenSSL licensing has changed in this regard AFAIK.
Squid being GPL2+ has the option that if GPL 3 or 4 etc is altered to
correct that gap we may finally be able to do so.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.16