[squid-users] Diagnosing Objects That Are Not Cached (squid/3.0.STABLE8)

From: Norbert Hoeller <nhoeller_at_sinet.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:11:55 -0500

Although my squid server is only supporting three users, I am pleasantly surprised at the percentage of traffic handled by the cache. However, I think I can do better. Scanning the logs, I noticed a number of cases where the same files were resulting in a TCP_MISS/200 condition. A lot are due to '?'-strings in the URL, even though the content is not always dynamic (I am researching options). However, I see a fair number of cases where I would expect the object to be cached. Is there a process for diagnosing why squid thinks the object is not cache-able?

For example, from the access.log and store.log files:

1265776256.982 3934 10.1.2.123 TCP_MISS/200 861 GET http://www.facebook.com/images/loaders/indicator_blue_small.gif - DIRECT/66.220.146.18 image/gif
1265776281.912 370 10.1.2.123 TCP_MISS/200 861 GET http://www.facebook.com/images/loaders/indicator_blue_small.gif - DIRECT/66.220.146.18 image/gif
1265776294.352 407 10.1.2.123 TCP_MISS/200 861 GET http://www.facebook.com/images/loaders/indicator_blue_small.gif - DIRECT/66.220.146.18 image/gif

1265776256.982 RELEASE -1 FFFFFFFF 54F74EF7200473A70B1E94F452E355C0 200 -1 -1 1265776256 image/gif 522/522 GET http://www.facebook.com/images/loaders/indicator_blue_small.gif