Re: [squid-users] Cache manager analysis

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:24:35 +1300

J. Webster wrote:
> Thanks.
> A few questions on this:
> (a) when you said this all src all is that meant to be acl src all?

   acl all src all

> (b) Hint 2: if possible, define an ACL or the network ranges where you accept logins. Use it like so
> The logins are accepted form IP addresses that I never know, it is an external proxy server for geo location so not sure I can do this? logins will only ever by directed to the 88.xxx.xxx.xxx server though?

Oh well. Not possible then.

> (c) cache_mem 100 MB
> Bump this up as high as you can go without risking memory swapping.
> Objects served from RAM are 100x faster than objects not.
> Where can I view if memeory swapping is happening?

Operating system tools to display memory usage. I use "top" on Linux.

> (D) maximum_object_size 50 MB
> Bump this up too. Holding full ISO CDs and windows service packs can
> boost performance when one is used from the cache. 40GB of disk can
> store a few.
> If I increase this, will the server ever try to store streamed video? I had an efficiency problem with the original configuration that came with squid, which meant that streamed video was buffering constantly. Not sure what caused it but with the current config it does not do that.
> If I increase the cache_mem and max object size do I also need to increase this?
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 50 KB

Ah, that problem. Okay. Then leave it as well.

> (E)
> cache_swap_low 90
> cache_swap_high 95
> access_log /var/log/squid/access.log squid
> cache_log /var/log/squid/cache.log
> buffered_logs on
> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
> cache deny QUERY
>
> Drop the QUERY bits above. It's more than halving the things your Squid can store.
> Remove the acl and the cache deny?
> At present, does this stop the cache from storing anything with a ?, ie dynamic pages?

Yes _everything_ with ? or cgi-bin in the path. Dynamic or not.

> What if the same request is made for a dynamic page, will it retrive it from the cache (old page) rather then fetch the new dynamic content?

Dynamic pages that contain correct HTTP controls for safe storage will
work according to those controls saving bandwidth. The bad ones will be
caught and discarded from cache properly by the new refresh_pattern.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.16