Re: [squid-users] How can I cache most content

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:38:00 -0200

Landy Landy wrote:
>> If you are desperate for bandwidth I suggest to block
>> ads (e.g. a.rad.msn.com) and 'user behaviour analysis'
>> (e.g. scorecardresearch.com).
>>
>> Furthermore, you may consider blocking mp3 files.
>> Depending on what type of users you have, this can save
>> a lot of bandwidth.
>>

> Blocking is not an option. I have a small WISP and blocking stuff won't work for us though I'm blocking p2p by default to everyone except for those who call me and ask if it can be enabled for magicjack and other services.

Blocking scorecardresearch.com is invisible to users since it just
produces a 1x1 pixel gif that is unused for the visual display.
Blocking it makes their internet experience faster.
There are many websites who do this type of 'user behaviour analysis'.

Blocking advertisements is debatable.
Maybe your users want to see them or maybe
they want a faster internet. I have seen
Squid log files where the microsoft ad + yahoo ad
+ google ads took 25% of the total bandwidth.
Just check on your server how much percent the URLs for
    rad.msn.com
    adserver.yahoo.com
    pagead2.googlesyndication.com
consume.