[squid-users] better performance using multiple http_port

From: Felipe W Damasio <felipewd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:28:39 -0300

  Hi All,

  I'm using squid on an ISP. (300Mbps).

  We tried both squid-2.7stable7 and squid-3.1.0.16 and had the same results.

  The time to do a "/usr/bin/time squidclient
http://www.terra.com.br/portal" goes down almost immediately after
starting squid.

  We tried turning off the cache so we can't have I/O-related
slowdowns and had the same results. Neither CPU nor memory seem to be
the problem.

  The only solution we could find that helped (didn't solve the
problem, though) is using multiple http_port, one for each user
network. (our ISP has 30 different user networks).

   We then used iptables to direct each network to a different
http_port (all with tproxy), and the time improved on the http_ports
that have fewer users...

   But since squid doesn't use multicore, and our CPU usage didn't go
up or down, same with memory, why does this helps?

   Is this the correct behavior?

   We don't really get it because it's still a single squid
process....could this be related to /proc configuration or
network-configuration?

   Thanks in advance.

Felipe Damasio