Re: [squid-users] NTLM pass-through breaking uploads to Flickr, etc.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:24:04 +1300

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:38:34 -0800, Mike Ely <mikeely_at_amyskitchen.net>
wrote:
> On 2/19/10 6:11 PM, "Amos Jeffries" <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Mike Ely wrote:

>> <snip>

>> 1) "proxy_auth" ACL type accepts a list of usernames OR the word
>> "REQUIRED" to accept any valid username.
>>
>> 2) "proxy_auth REQUIRED src" has never been valid AFAICT. The "src ..."
>> bit has silently been discarded by all Squid 2.6+ I'm aware of.
>>
>> 3) If I'm wrong about (2) being discarded then the effect will be that
>> the username "src" or "10.0.0.0/8" with no password might possibly be
>> used to login on your Squid.
>>
>> 4) Without IP address range checks there is no restriction on where the
>> logins may be done from.

>> 'localnet Requires authentication and will challenge.

>> 'localnet Requires authentication and will challenge.
>>
>> NOTE: 'localnet' being one of the default Squid-3 ACL all documentation
>> you will find anywhere will assume that it retains that default type
>> (which is to match source IP address only).
>>

>> SOLUTION:
>> Create a new name for your login ACL and use that where login is
>> needed.
>> Revert localnet to IP range "src" type and use that where
appropriate
>> as well.
>>
>> <snip again>
>>
>> The notes I've added above in your config should help out a LOT.
>> Get those corrected and we can work on the additional fix after that.
>>
>> Amos
>
> Hi Amos,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Per your suggestions, I¹ve created a test server
> running 2.7.STABLE7 and rebuilt the config (which I¹ll append below).
> Unfortunately this doesn¹t change the original issue with file uploads ­
> client machine thinks it¹s getting regular proxy stuff due to edited
hosts
> file and I¹m verifying through logs that it¹s hitting the test server I
> want
> it to use. Then again, maybe I simply misunderstood you and
misconfigured
> it again...

That one looks much better. As far as I can tell right now it should be
passing NTLM auth bits thru to the web server when that server asks for
them.

The "acl amysnet proxy_auth REQUIRED src 10.0.0.0/8" is still broken, but
you are not using it so can remove.

Or to retain it you will need it to become something like this:
  acl amysnetIP src 10.0.0.0/8
  acl amysnetLogin proxy_auth REQUIRED
  http_access deny amysnetIP !amysnetLogin
  http_access allow amysnetIP amysnetLogin

Amos