Re: [squid-users] Squid HD Limitation

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 13:12:58 -0300

Kinkie wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Denys Fedorysychenko
> <nuclearcat_at_nuclearcat.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 25 February 2010 13:42:52 Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>> My opinion of RAID behind Squid is very poor. Avoid if at all possible.
>>>
>>> HW RAID is claimed to be workable though, particularly as the price
>>> range and quality goes up.

What hardware RAID solution is being used ?
I like to know details like battery-backed write cache and its size.
For the RAID0 part, the stripe size is important and should be
larger than the average object size (usually 13 KB). This is to avoid
using 2 disks for 1 logical read. I would recommend a stripe size of 64 KB
or more. When you have lots of large objects, an even larger stripe size
is recommended.

To reduce the time spend in the routine that removes old objects from disk
(runs every hour), the difference between cache_swap_low and cache_swap_high
must be reduced (is currently 5%).
I suggest to use
    cache_swap_low 92
    cache_swap_high 93