[squid-users] Question on NTLM

From: Miles Roper <mroper_at_westcoastdhb.org.nz>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:33:56 +1300

Hi,

We have been using squid for about 7+ years now. Great tool. Currently
we use SMB authentication (its pretty solid so loather to change as we
had loads of issues with winbind in the early days).

However what we have is an issue where users use there own AD
username/password on a machine where they are not the actually logged in
user.

So on the PC they are logged in as Radiology, but to get onto the
internet they use "donald.duck" when they open up IE and it asks for a
username/password.

This works great. The problem is now we are expiring passwords every 90
days, and as the user "donald duck" never logs in, they don't know that
there password is about to expire. This means that all of a sudden
using smb_auth they can't get access to the internet (so need to login
into another PC first, change there password, and then they can login to
the internet on the first PC under the AD user radiology).

So, my question is, given we are using smb_auth, if we were to change to
NTLM, would squid prompt the user to change there password if they
successfully entered in there old credentials when there password had
expired? (as windows does).

I've tried searching Google fairly extensively and your FAQ and can't
find anything specifically to this issue so hoping you can help.

Regards

Miles

This message has been scanned and found to be free of known security risks.The Information contained in this message and/or
attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by person or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibitied. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your
system and destroy any copies.