Re: [squid-users] custom url_rewrite_program

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:32:10 +1300

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0600 (CST), Al - Image Hosting Services
<azick_at_zickswebventures.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I could not get a rewriter that would do the things we wanted, so we
wrote
> our own. It uses mysql as the database for its list, which is great
> because I can now update mysql and instantly you can see the change in
> what is being blocked and what is not. The issue we have is that if the
> mysql server goes down then the rewrite program tries to reconnect, but
if
> it can't it dies. Ideally, if it could not connect to mysql then it
would
> send a url of an error page, then try to reconnect on the next request.
My
> question is, how long will squid wait for the rewrite program before it
> will kill the process and start a new one?
>
> Maybe someone has a better idea on how to deal with this.
>
> Best Regards,
> Al

Squid will wait until the next shutdown or the client goes away.

My helpers that do this try 2 connection attempts with 1 second sleep
between, so as not to cause too much client annoyance. That may differ with
the impatience of your clients.

Amos