Re: [squid-users] Strange browser behavior / issue with proxy autoconfiguration file

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:30:29 +0100

ons 2010-03-10 klockan 10:45 +0100 skrev Stefan Baur:

> What happens is that as soon as an URL with a non-existent DNS name is
> entered, the browser locks up for almost 90 seconds before it displays
> Squid's DNS error message (ERR_DNS_FAIL).

Sounds like a DNS issue. isInNet requires the client to perform a DNS
lookup of the host name.

> I also tried removing the isPlainHostName part, in case it would do some
> sort of lookup that causes the delay, but that didn't help, either.
> (I closed the browser between those attempts, so it wouldn't cache the
> old config file somewhere.)

It still caches the pac file in it's local cache, according to the
freshness set by your web server publishing the pac.

isPlainHostname should work.. assuming the problem is DNS.

Does it work properly if you just return the proxy address? (as a test)

> function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
> {
> if (isPlainhost name(host) ||
> isResolvable(host))
> return "DIRECT";
> else
> return "PROXY proxy.ip.here:8080";
> }
> it still shows the freeze/lockup issue.

isResolvable also requires a working DNS.

> Any suggestions on how I can use an autoconfiguration file and still get
> timely ERR_DNS_FAIL replies?

If the DNS used by the client do not work properly then you must be very
careful with anything relying on DNS in the pac file.

Do the local DNS used by the client promptly reject non-local names?