RE: [squid-users] Images are not loading properly into web pages. (not sure about my cache settings)

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:52:54 +0100

tor 2010-03-11 klockan 05:32 +0000 skrev GIGO .:

> This is the portion which i am confused about as there are many texts
> available on the net which suggest that is should be chrooted(which
> honeslty look complex to me as well) while others explaining that
> giving directory permissions is good enough. I want to know the best
> and safe practice no matters even if it requires a little more hassle.

chrooting Squid is pretty simple. See the chroot directive in
squid.conf. But may take a bit of effort to get helpers running properly
depending on which helpers you are using.

> Secondly the default packaged software Version 3.0.STABLE1 that comes
> with Ubuntu is good enough and there is no reason to moe to stable24
> unless you have a specific need. However upgrading the software will
> preserve the configuration settings of version 3.0 stable1 and will be
> installed in the same path.

3.0.STABLE1 has several known security issues plus countless general
stability issues... I would not be confident running 3.0.STABLE1 in
production use today.

See http://www.squid-cache.org/Advisories/ for the major issues on why
you may want to upgrade...