Re: [squid-users] SQuid Slow

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:12:08 +0000

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:56:58 +0100, Henrik Nordström
<henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> tis 2010-03-16 klockan 17:22 +0500 skrev Adnan Shahzad:
>
>> Is there any way to fast the simple html pages. Currently everything
>> working fine, but user complaint that it appear all html page at once
>> which cause delay.
>
> Squid relays data to the requesting browser as soon as it receives it.
> It does not buffer.
>
> The symptoms you describe has been reported before, but it's unclear
> what is causing them. But a guess is that it's related to the number of
> concurrent connections opened by the browser an possible presence of one
> or two slow objects early in the page delaying the browser from
> downloading the data it needs to start rendering the page.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

I know some add-ons to Firefox which alter page content cause delays while
they buffer the entire thing re-write it before display.

IE6 also has something which can cause it to act the same, holding a page
HTML from display until all objects have been received (preventing display
if some fail!).

In Squid the chunked decoder needs to buffer the reply to decode it for
clients, and for some very large objects can be delayed. Mostly seen with
large images such as google maps/earth/streetview. But may also occur if
the server is slow and HTML page very long.

Amos