Re: [squid-users] Do not make conditional requests to the originserver when cache hits. Is it possible?

From: Kai-Chieh Ku <kjackie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:57:52 +0800

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> ... very twisted.
>
> You have squid listening on pot 81 for requests to
> http://localhost:80/something

That's a setup for testing...

> Take a read through this:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/BasicAccelerator

I've read this, but there is nothing about the conditional requests
issued by squid.

> As for the backend queries, you show no evidence that they are happening at
> all. The reply you show has bee updated with current origin info. there is
> no sign of what it was when squid received the client request.
> check access.log for TCP_HIT (exactly), these are true cache hits. The
> others all needed to be updated due to data aging out.

The backend server is a simple http server (it's not a robust/generic
http server like apache or lighttpd and for some reason I can not use
those server for my project). It's unable to reply "304 Not Modified",
so I want squid can omit the conditional requests (If-Modified-Since)
to the backend before the cache is expired (There was a
"Last-Modified" and "Cache-Control" returned by the backend server).
The client I used for the tests was wget with a single argument
"http://localhost/".

> Amos
> --
> Please be using
> Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE8 or 3.0.STABLE25
> Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.18

I'm using 2.7.STABLE8 on Windows.

--
Kai-Chieh Ku