Re: [squid-users] 417 Expectation Failed

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:18:17 +1300

Arthur Titeica wrote:
> I've seen the other thread regarding this subject and I must admit this
> is too technical for me to express an opinion about the situation.
>
> I just wanted to mention that today I tested both 'squid-3.1.0.18' and
> 'squid-3.1.0.18-20100320' in a reverse proxy setup and the client
> receives '417 Expectation failed' where all the previous 3.1.x worked
> just fine.
>
> In fact I just installed back the .17 version to fix this issue.

Your client agent (web browser?) is pretending to be HTTP/1.1 capable
and yet cannot handle one of the most simple HTTP/1.1 error responses.

Please report the bug to the authors of that software.
Please also let the rest of us know what software this is.

The problem:
  417 is the response Squid and other HTTP/1.1-aware proxies are
required to use to tell HTTP/1.1 clients the request it has made is
possible but needs to be tried again using an HTTP/1.0-compatible
request. It WILL be passing over an HTTP/1.0-only section of network.

Workaround:
   When built with --enable-http-violations Squid 3.1 has the
ignore_expect_100 configuration option for ignoring these clients requests.
  It will result in either a passable but very, very slow start to some
types of requests. Or in a timeout error while it waits for a
non-existent OKAY response. Depending on how broken the client software is.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.18