[squid-users] Disable user accounts

From: David Parks <davidparks21_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 22:01:31 -0700 (PDT)

I will be monitoring squid usage logs and need to disable user accounts from an external app (block them from making use of the proxy after they are authenticated).

I'm not quite following the FAQ on this (http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Authentication?action=show&redirect=SquidFaq/ProxyAuthentication#How_do_I_ask_for_authentication_of_an_already_authenticated_user.3F) because I don't have any criteria on which the ACL might force a re-negotiation (or I just don't understand the proposed solution).

I'm also not clear if ("nonce_garbage_interval") and ("nonce_max_duration") are actually forcing a password check against the authentication module, or if they are just dealing with the nuances of the digest authentication protocol. I have them set to their defaults, but after making a change to the password file that digest_pw_auth helper uses, I do not get challenged for the updated password. Could it just be that digest_pw_auth didn't re-read the password file after I made the change?

Thanks!
David

p.s. thanks for all of the responses to this point, I haven't replied as such with a "thanks", but the help on this user group is fantastic and is really appreciated, particularly Amos, you're a god-send!