[squid-users] Time-based ACLs for long connections

From: Jason Healy <jhealy_at_logn.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:57:10 -0400

I work at a school where we would like to limit bandwidth during certain times of day (study times), but relax those restrictions at other times of day. We're looking into delay pools to shape the traffic, and time-based ACLs to assign the connections to different pools. I'm pretty sure my guess about how time-based ACLs work is correct, but I wanted to confirm before I set this all up and have a major "duh" moment.

Assignment to a delay pool using a time-based ACL would only occur at the start of the connection, correct? In other words, if I have a ACLs like:

  acl play time MTWHF 15:00-19:59
  acl work time MTWHF 20:00-22:59
  # plus some assignment to delay pools using "play" and "work" ACLs...

Then a user who starts a long download at 19:59 will enjoy the benefits of the "play" ACL for the duration of the download, while one who starts at 22:59 will be penalized with the "work" ACL until their download completes. There is no re-evaluation of the ACL while the download is in progress that would notice that the ACL time boundary has been crossed.

Just want to check before I start architecting our solution...

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |    jhealy@logn.net    |   http://www.logn.net/