Re: [squid-users] Mail client with squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:36:37 +0000

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:21:45 +0530, Impact Services
<impactservices_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I know squid is a proxy server. May be I didnt
> explain the problem correctly.
>
> I am able to manage my internet traffic through squid - filtering,
> logging etc. The problem is that I want to enable the client computers
> to use outlook express as well but since internet access is routed
> through squid and squid doesnt handle pop and smtp traffic, outlook
> express on client computers are unable to send or receive emails. What
> is the workaround for client computers to access internet through
> squid but at the same time enable outlook express to operate as well?

By being more careful with your iptables rules.

Non-80 ports should be handled normally. Either by only routing port 80
traffic through the Squid box by your main router or by having the Squid
box configured as a proper router itself.

FWIW: OE will use the internet explorer options and Thunderbird has "HTTP
proxy" settings configurable. This will only pass the attachments and
images displayed in HTML emails through the proxy. Not the actual email
texts.

Amos