Re: [squid-users] FileDescriptor Issues

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:54:46 +0000

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:19:40 -0000, "Adam_at_Gmail" <adbasque_at_googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks Ivan for your suggestion
> But in my case it's slightly different
> I have no squid in
>
> /etc/default/squid
>

> /etc/init.d/mine is located in /usr/local/squid/sbin/squidunless I try
> this/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid
> SQUID_MAXFD=4096

/etc/default/squid is a configuration file for configuring the system
init.d/squid script.
 It does not exist normally, you create it only when overrides are needed.

.../sbin/squid is supposed to be the binary application which gets run.

> And then restart it, but I am not sure I am using Ubuntu HardyI think
this
> tip is for the Squid that is packaged with Ubuntu and not the
> compiledSquid

Bash environment shells resets the descriptors down again towards 1024
each time a new one is generated. It _always_ must be increased to the
wanted limit before running Squid. Whether you do it manually on the
command line each time, or in the init.d script, or in some other custom
starter script.

My Ubuntu systems show default OS limits of just over 24K FD available.

Building Squid with:
  ulimit -HSn 65535 && ./configure --with-filedescriptors=65535 ...
  make install

starting: squid -f /etc/squid.conf
squid shows 1024

starting: ulimit -Hsn 64000 && squid -f /etc/squid.conf
squid shows 64000

Amos