Re: [squid-users] Help with accelerated site

From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler_at_artifact-software.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:21:23 -0400

You seemed to have missed my note quoted below.

<quote>
I would suggest to stick with the accelerator and let your inside guys
hit your server on port 80.
1) Put your backend server back on port 80

http_port 80 accel vhost defaultsite=www.mysite.org
cache_peer 192.168.1.3 parent 80 .... whatever I had in my config should
be fine once you change my 81 to 80. I needed to use 81 since I had
both apache and squid on the same machine. You do not have this problem.
</quote>

This presumes that your inside guys are on the 192.168.3.x network. They
do not need proxying to reach the 192.168.3.1 server since it is on the
same subnet. I assume that they do not need proxying to get outside
since you router probably handles that for them.

I am not sure how the outside world reaches the Squid proxy but I assume
that you have a NAT in the router that gets them from a public Internet
address on the router to the Squid server on port 80.

Do you really need proxying for your inside guys or are they perfectly
happy going out to the public Internet normally though your router and
can directly address the back-end server without Squid if the backend
httpd is on port 80?

The only case where you need to use port 81 is where squid and the httpd
server are on the same machine and you want port 80 to belong to squid
and squid needs to pass its requests to httpd on another port.

3128 is for proxying internal browsers on a non-routable network
192.168.x.x where you do not have a router that is NATing the inside
guys for you. Squid will handle the mapping of outgoing requests and
the inside browsers be configured to use a proxy and not try to bang on
port 80 but use 3128 on the proxy for all requests.
It does not seem that you need this since your router likely does this
for you.

I suspect that you only have to change the 2 lines in the out-of-the-box
squid to get this going.

Ron