Re: [squid-users] dns problem squid

From: Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:04:38 +0200

david_at_lafourmi.de schrieb:
> hello squidders :),
>

> i have some problems with my log in squid...
>
> i use squid 3.1.0.16
>
> and my log says:
>
> 2010/03/30 16:55:07| comm_udp_sendto: FD 5, (family=10)
> 192.168.10.4:53: (1) Operation not permitted
> 2010/03/30 16:55:07| idnsSendQuery: FD 5: sendto: (1) Operation not
> permitted
This indicates that a firewall blocks the outgoing DNS requests that
squid needs to make in order to resolve the hostnames in the incoming
queries. Squid normally uses the DNS settings from the operating system
(probably in /etc/resolv.conf). It then sends a standard UDP DNS query
to the server(s) listed there. If you have an internal and an external
server listed there and a firewall blocks access to the first one, it
may well be that your setup works after all (because the second request
to the external server succeeds) but you still have a setup generating
regular error messages (and unneccessary delaying requests).

The fact that a firewall blocks UDP DNS queries to the configured DNS
server can be solved in two ways:
a) configure the OS or squid to use only DNS server reachable for squid
b) reconfigure the firewall to allow the necessary requests

Hope this helps,
Jakob Curdes

ps. I would suggest that you restrict posts to one list at a time and
that you do not CC your mails to "well known people".
We all will try to help but not every case needs to be answered or read
by Amos, Henrik et cetera.