Re: [squid-users] Yet another IMAP support request

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:39:19 +0200

fre 2010-03-19 klockan 14:33 +0100 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
> On 19.03.10 15:00, Sabyasachi Ruj wrote:
> > I went through this thread:
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg59892.html.
> > I also needed that IMAP to work via Squid. There was no conclusion on
> > that thread.
>
> need? Why do you _need_ it?

Very valid question.

Most people prefer handing IMAP and other random protocols by using NAT
instead of via an HTTP proxy.

The second alternative on the preferred list is using a generic SOCKS
proxy, possibly with an automatic wrapper installed on the client
stations to divert network requests to the SOCKS server..

There is also the alternative of using an IMAP proxy, which sometimes
even adds benefits such as cache etc.. (mostly interesting for dumb
clients not having a good local cache themselves)