Re: [squid-users] Dual Core CPU, etc.

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:32:12 -0400

To split the hairs a bit further, squid's core is mostly single threaded, but does have disk i/o processes that are spawned out. So going from single to dual core will give you gains for that reason in addition to the benefit of other system processes no longer competing with squid for timeslices.

That said, due to the single-threaded core, there are diminishing returns in going to quad CPUs or greater when running a single instance of squid, unless you have helper processes (rewriters, auth helpers, etc) which consume lots of cpu. At my last company we solved that scaling issue by simply running multiple squids on each server (There's even a nifty hack to bind them all to port 80 at the same time so you don't need multiple IP addresses - search the archives for it).

-C