Re: [squid-users] client_lifetime

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 23:43:14 +1200

Ivan . wrote:
> Hi
>
> I chain from two internal Clearswift appliances to a Squid box in a DMZ.
>
> I have noticed quite a few WARNING: Closing client <internal-proxy-ip>
> connection due to lifetime timeout
>
> The client_lifetime is set at default, but I was wondering if I should
> stretch that right out to 365 days or alike, seeing as all my
> connections to the Squid proxy come from two IP addresses only?

This is entirely up to you.
There are protocol conditions about some cases which require early
closure. Squid confirms in those regards. This option only determines
what happens when the connection is being unused for some various time
period.

I'm a little fuzzy on whether the timeout is from initial open or last use.

If you have say 10 open links to each parent 8 being used weekly or more
and the 9th and 10th only get used once a month under some rare peak.
The expected behaviour for setting it to 15 days or so would release the
two (#9 and #10) FD after 15 days of non-use.

FD are release every reconfigure or restart. So this only ensures no
idleness on very long-running proxies.

> Any other parameters that I should tune in this sort of setup?

Amos

--
Please be using