Re: [squid-users] RE: HTTPS and Squid

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 23:49:43 -0430

Hi!

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Baird, Josh <jbaird_at_follett.com> wrote:
> Ok, perhaps I misunderstood how CONNECT works.
>
> When Squid CONNECT's to a remote webserver via HTTPS, the tunnel is
> created between the user and the remote server.. so is all data sent
> over HTTPS (from the remote server to the client using the squid proxy)?

When a client request a https page, it does a CONNECT method, and
thus: squid opens the connection to the remote ip:port and start
passing thru the data to the client's connection. That's all.

If a client request a "normal" web page (http), all communication is
unencrypted, from client to proxy and from proxy to remote server, and
the server download things, and then send them to the client.