Re: [squid-users] removing Proxy

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 20:24:45 -0430

Hi!

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 14:06:55 -0430, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> <ildefonso.camargo_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Adam_at_Gmail <adbasque_at_googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove a proxy from a linux
> system
>>>
>>> I haven't added the proy to any files, but everytime I try for instance
>>> connect it keeps searching for the proxy
>>> I initially added the proxy with
>>>
>>> export http://proxy:port
>>
>> export http_proxy=http://proxy:port you mean, right?
>>

>>> Now when I do unset http_proxy I can connect to the internet and do the
>>> apt-get and use synaptic without a problem
>>> but if I reboot the machine it comes back again, unless I unset the
> proxy
>>> manually everytime
>>>
>>> does anyone know where I can remove it from an Ubuntu hardy based
> system
>>> please?
>>
>> This is a question more for the Ubuntu mailing list, really.  but, I
>> would do this on *any* Linux system:
>>
>> check these files:
>>
>> ~/.bashrc  (.bashrc on your home directory), and see if the variable
>> is set there, if no:
>>
>> sudo /bin/bash  (to get a root shell, on ubuntu, on ther systems: su -):
>> cd /etc
>> grep -r http_proxy *
>>
>> And see on which files is the variable.
>>

>>> I decided to stop using squid it caused me a lot of problems since I
>>> installed it
>>> it was non stop one problem after another.
>>
>> What kind of problems?
>>

> Lots of strange non-Squid problems. This being just one:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg72561.html

Ok, I just read through the thread, you didn't answered the last
question: what happen if you shutdown the squid service?.

As a matter of fact, I don't see even a way of making ssh use squid to
access. So, my best guest, according to what you say, is that the
squid machine has the IP addresses of the other services (IP address
conflict), try on the squid machine:

ifconfig -a

And evaluate that.

I have been using squid for around 10 years now, and even though I
have had some problems, I have always been able to work the around.
Recently (in the last 2 years), I have had no serious problems with
it. Maybe some applications that refuses to use the proxy: Windows
Live installer and some yahoo games, but in these cases, it is not
squid's fault.

I hope this helps,

Ildefonso Camargo