Re: [squid-users] Running Multiple instances and reporting confusion.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 02:18:51 +1200

GIGO . wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running multiple instances of squid on the same machine. One
> instance is taking the clients request and forwarding to its parent
> peer at 127.0.0.1. All is going well. However there is a confusion
> related to reporting through sarg. To capture the client activity
> sarge is parsing the access.log file of the instance i.e user facing
> which is correct. However obvioulsy it is depicting a wrong in-cache
> out-cache figures as this value should be instead of the instance
> which is managing/doing caching.
>
> Is there a way/trick to manage this? Is it possible that a cache_hit
> from a parent cache be recorded as in-cache in the child?

The parent cache with the hier_code ACL type may be able to log only the
requests that did not get sent to the child.

The child cache using follow_x_forwarded_for trusting the parent proxy
and log_uses_indirect_client should be able to log the remote client IP
which connected to the parent with its received requests.

Combining the parent and child proxies logs line-wise for analysis
should then give you the result you want.

That combination is a bit tricky though, since we have only just added
TCP reliable logging to Squid-3.2. UDP logging is available for 2.7 and
3.1, but may result in some lost records under high load. With either of
those methods you just need a daemon to receive the log traffic and
store it in the one file.

Amos

--
Please be using