Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.7 working with reference to storeurl/caching?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 01:07:06 +1200

GIGO . wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I request that please read my squid.conf file and guide me on the order of the directives and any issue as i am unable to cache a single thing. Does it matter the order of definition of the following?

You seems to make a lot of queries asking what squid.conf directives
mean. Are you aware of the online squid.conf manual?
   http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/

> 1. storeurl program

no.

> 2. refresh patterns

only in relation to other of these directives.

> 3 storeurl rewrite lists...

only in relation to other of these directives.

> I assume :
>
> 1. whenever a user open a page in his user agent squid very first of all check the refresh pattern for deciding whether to search in the cache or go to web. Am i right?

No. First check is whether security access is to be granted. then other
security lookups, then possible cacheability of the reply, then what to
send in the relayed request, then source for the reply, then how to
fetch the reply, then whether the reply is acceptable.

Thats a general overview, fine details are difficult to explain simply.

> 2. Now if the request match the storeurl rewrite lists then the request is forwarded to storeurl program who then see that if the object is available in the cache in that case it is returned. Otherwise object is fetched from the web and stored as store_url for future reference. Please guide i am totally unclear?

No storeurl access lists determine whether the storeurl_program is
allowed to alter the storage location for the reply.

Whether to store is determined by the "cache" directive and reply cache
control headers.

> 3. With the following squid.conf not a single object is being cached. I am not sure whats happening?

> # This is the configuration file for instance 2 which is doing all the caching. squid v 2.7 stable 9 is chosen for its store_url feature.

<snip>

> # This portion is not understood yet well
> # Let the clients favorite video site through with full caching
> # - they can come from any of a number of youtube.com subdomains.
> # - this is NOT ideal, the 'merging' of identical content is really needed here
> acl youtube dstdomain .youtube.com
> cache allow youtube

The default caching permission is to allow. UNLESS you specify otherwise.

Also, ... allow/deny control lists terminate with an implicit rule
inverting the permission of the previous configuration line.

What that means is that your configuration above actually doing this:

   cache allow youtube
   cache deny all

What you need to do is remove the "cache allow youtube" rule and let
squid default "allow all" to work properly.

Amos

--
Please be using