Re: [squid-users] Squid + Windows 7 + itunes / BB / MobileMe

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:49:58 +1200

Alex Marsal wrote:
> I think actually we're using this one:
>
> /usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
>
> Which other helper should we use?

For NTLM the Samba helper (looks like that one) is the best to use.

The problem may be that Win7 and these apps in particular no longer
support NTLM by default.

Microsoft had an announcement a while back to the effect that they were
phasing out NTLM over the Vista lifespan and it would be officially dead
in Win7. That seems to have been roughly accurate going by peoples
experiences.

Here is a KB article on the LMv2 disabling
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976918

If your plan is to have the network Win7 based then Kerberos is
recommended as the protocol to migrate to. It's more secure by way of
better encryption and less network heavy than NTLM.

If you wish to retain XP on most and simply migrate a "few" Win7 boxes,
you get stuck doing these setting changes.

Amos

--
Please be using