RE: [squid-users] public squid proxy

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow_at_ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 08:59:42 -0800

----Original Message----
From: Prashant K.S [mailto:ksprashant_at_yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 7:41 PM
To: James Zuelow; squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
Subject: Re: [squid-users] public squid proxy

> Hi James,
>
> Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will definitely give it a try. I
> have around 1.25 GDB RAM with Pentium 4 processor. Would that be
> sufficient?

Hmm, barely. You'll need to give your Windows server at least 512MB. Your Squid server will only be servicing your test client, so you can pare that back to a minimum. I wouldn't install a fat distro like SuSE or Ubuntu. Instead, get something like Debian and do a base install (at the end of the install wizard, uncheck ALL of the boxes) and then add just Squid and Samba/winbind. The disk image will be very small and you can run that with 256MB RAM. That leaves 512MB for your XP workstation to run in. That is pretty tight, but I think it's doable. You might have to give the Windows machine more RAM during installation. Just dial it back after the install is done.

If you can at all get to 2GB of RAM on your XP box that would be better - 512MB for each of the virtual machines with 1GB left over for XP.

> Can I use VmWare? Which virtualization do you suggest.

Oh, up to you. I like VirtualBox. If you already have a Vmware image for Ubuntu, then perhaps Vmware is the way to go. You can try different solutions and choose the one you like best. One thing to consider is which solution is easiest for you to understand the networking configuration. Networking will be critical for your test, so you'll want to be able to understand the virtual network part of it.

> I have a Windows XP machine and have a Vmware with Ubuntu for the
> virtual machine? Would that be fine?

Sure, that would be fine as long as the Ubuntu image doesn't need too much memory -- right now memory is your limiting factor. You can create a domain with the virtual domain controller. Then set up your virtual squid server, and point it's NTLM to the virtual domain controller. Then you can test your client against the Squid server.

Have fun!

James